132 E. Prairie Street
Marengo, IL 60152
815-568-7112 Ext 211
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 8am to 4:30pm. Call 815-568-7112 ext 211 for Building Department Concerns. Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Permit Applications: Applications for the most requested projects are available for download here.
Permits: The City of Marengo has adopted codes and ordinances to protect the safety and well being of the structures in which we inhabit and properties we use. Most projects require an approved building permit to be issued prior to any construction. Typical permitting processes involve plans and specifications of your project to be submitted for review. The permit applications have the required information that is needed to be submitted. This review time allows staff to review and make notations for code compliance during the course of the project.
Projects not requiring building permits:
- Patios / decorative block & brick
- Tree planting
- Mailbox replacement
- Playhouses / basketball hoops
- Floor covering replacement
- Cabinet replacement
- Single faucet replacement / repair
- Single lighting replacement / repair
- Single pane of a window repair
Inspections: Inspections during the course and upon completion of your project are required to ensure code compliance is achieved. Our friendly inspectors will explain any deficiencies that may be found and work with you to achieve compliance. Please call our office the day before to discuss your inspection needs. We can better serve you by scheduling in advance.
Call 815-703-9708 for the following inspections
Roof (ice and water shield)
Call 815-338-4305 for the following inspections
Landscape Planting List: A list of recommended trees for planting is available here.
Codes: The Marengo City Council has adopted the 2015 International Building Codes. These Codes are the most recognized codes throughout the country and ensure the highest safety for all our structures. For more information: Chapter 24
Fees: The permit fee structure is created to cover the administrative costs of processing the permit and inspecting your project. Fee Schedule: Fee Schedule
Hours: Building Department Hours are Monday – Friday 8 am to 4:30. Due to our small staff, our phones may go straight to voicemail. Forms are available in our entry way.
Before you dig, call J.U.L.I.E. at 1-800-892-0123
Code: The adopted 2015 International Property Maintenance Code has strict rules and regulations to ensure properties are maintained in a clean and orderly manner. Our Code Enforcement Officer works proactively to reduce the amount of “blight” in our community. Items that constitute property maintenance violation:
- Grass in excess of 8″
- Noxious weeds
- Rotting materials/vegetation
- Abandoned vehicles
- Property disarray
- Public nuisance
- Untreated/unprotected building materials (paint flakes, primer missing, rust etc.)
- Broken windows
- Rotting building materials
- Unsecured premises
- Structural failures
Planning and Zoning
Subdivision Code: The City of Marengo has created a Subdivision Code that administers standards for new improvements and subdivisions. The standards ensure the designs and installations are high quality and meet good engineering practices.
Land Use: The City Council has approved a Comprehensive Plan that sets guidelines for growth. To view the plans, click here.
For additional information or questions, please contact public works at 815-568-7112 ext 211.
Planning & Zoning meetings are held the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Meetings are held at Marengo City Hall, 132 E. Prairie Street.
- Vicki Hughes (term expires 2028)– email: email@example.com
- Maureen Cortilet (term expires 2028) – 815-568-0160 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Corey Brackmann- (term expires 2028) – 815-482-2479 email: email@example.com
- Don Torman (term expires 2025) – 815-568-0485 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bob Keller (term expires 2025) – email@example.com
- Marty Mohr (term expires 2025) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robert Church (term expires 2028) 630-596-3330 email: email@example.com