- Many angels are former entrepreneurs themselves
- They make investments in order to gain a return on their money, to participate in the entrepreneurial process, and often to give back to their communities by catalyzing economic growth.
- Angels make a return on their investment when the entrepreneur successfully grows the business and exits it, generally through a sale or merger
- It is estimated that angels invested 19 billion in more than 55,000 start-up businesses in 2008 (Source: Center for Venture Research)
- Angels tend to invest in companies that are located near them regionally
Angel Capital Education Foundation
The Angel Capital Education Foundation (ACEF) is a charitable organization devoted to education, information and research about angel investing for investors, entrepreneurial support organizations, university faculty and students, and policy makers.
Area Angel Networks
- Bio Angels – Chicago, IL
- Cornerstone Angels – Northbrook, IL
- Heartland Angels – Skokie, IL
- Hyde Park Angel Network – Chicago, IL
- Stateline Angels – Rockford, IL